Monday, May 1

Feeling peeky

Its been a funny old weekend in Haltwhistle. Very very quiet, which is probably just as well as I'm not quite at my best,.. just for a change. So how am I progressing with these catheters after about a month now? Well to be honest I'm not too sure. While I have the practicalities all down well, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to live with this long term. I have had 2 UTIs in a month. This means I'm taking antibiotics for 10 days on, 10 days off, and then another 10 days. If this is the way its going to be then I really don't know how sustainable it is over a few months let alone years. Apart from the fact that its pretty unpleasant for me, its actually not good for me. I've been doing quite a bit of reading around the subject of course.... as you do and while some people seem to manage well for years, others fall into the constant infection category. I'm very keen on the whole hygiene routine, frankly I'm surprised my hands aren't red raw from the whole performance, so I'm sure that's not a problem as such. It would seem likely then that I'm an individual who is just susceptible to this. So what's plan B? Plan B would be a supra pubic catheter which requires surgical insertion. What they do is route it either through your belly button or make a whole in your abdomen. Now I cant say this really thrills me, but if I'm just going to have to take antibiotics forever then that's not great either. The SPC significantly reduces UTIs, so I have to say at the moment, and feeling as I do I'm slightly inclining in this direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment