Sunday, May 27

Mission Nearly-Impossible


"Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to take it is to get your cripply wife, newborn and grumpy 3 year old with chickenpox round Morrisons as quickly as possible while not forgetting any of those items your really need. As usual, should you or any member of your Force be captured or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your existence. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck."


Well that's how life must seem to my husband at the moment anyway. Almost mission impossible. It was our first outing, a necessary evil and at the time we didn't know my son wasn't well. I just thought he was being grumpy. I had foolishly thought that it would be easy getting me and a baby out and about, but oh dear just slap me about a bit, what was I thinking? I mean the logistics of the whole enterprise are just awful. Firstly we had to decide which trolley to get. After trying 2 we decided the best thing was to get an ordinary trolley and just plonked Isak in the basket in his car seat. After all this wasn't a major shop just some odds and sods. So my husband pushes him in and I bring up the rear with Elk who decides to freeze upon seeing a revolving door. Its also on a slight slope so not only am I trying to coax him in, I'm also attempting to get up the slope and through the door myself. Fortunately a kind lady assisted us and we were in. Now Elk decided he wanted a ride which is fine until half way round he needed the toilet. My husband whisked him off and I was left sitting with the baby. Its at this point that I realised that I couldn't actually reach him. At least in the trolley I could see him. If he'd been on top of the trolley I wouldn't even have been able to do that. So I sat there for about 20 minutes with a bottle feeding him through the bars in the trolley, it would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous. Sounds like someone somewhere should come up with a wheelchair friendly trolley that can take babies/children!


So all in all It was bloody hard work. Take it from me its something we have to practice. I'm not over enthusiastic about the whole thing of going out much, I think Id be happy staying at home for a while. However needs must, and next week I face my first challenge alone. I have to take Isak to the Freeman hospital on my own for a hearing test. Oh I cant wait for that! And as for my husband? Well he has taken on the mission and at the moment everyday seems a bit like mission impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment