Tuesday, February 24

Belief

I have a Friend who told me he believes in G-d because he chooses to. I thought this was interesting in that rather than have a sudden conversion he had studied it, thought about it and then made a rational positive choice to believe rather than not to. The reasons he gave me were numerous, but I was taken by the very act of a positive belief rather than a negative. Too often we hear I don't believe in.... I cant.... I wont.... its not too often we hear of a genuinely positive action. Its a bit like you only hear bad news stories from day to day, never the amazingly good stories that happen all over the world. I also think a positive choice is in fact a more difficult one. You actually have to work at keeping that choice going as opposed to a negative thought which requires little maintenance. Its with this thought that I too, try to make positive choices. My friends words struck such a chord in me I often catch myself using the vary phrase he did. I do try but I fear, often fail to be positive about my life and prospects, I make a choice to see some good in the world and yes I too make a positive choice about my personal beliefs. But its never easy, and anyone who tells you such is either lying or misguided, you really have to work day in day out to keep positivity going, the half full bucket could all to easily become half empty but if I have my way, not in my lifetime.
Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact.
William JamesUS Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 - 1910)

1 comment: