Wednesday, June 17

Tendon Problems

Over the last couple of years I have had increasing problems with the Achilles tendons in my ankles. Despite regular stretching on a daily basis, exercises and physio, they are slowly getting tighter and tighter, more and more painful and causing me to have something called foot drop whereby I can no longer put my heels onto the footplate of my chair. In the long term i.e next year, something has got to be done about it if only as a form of pain relief. At the moment I'm at the point where I can't bear to have my feet touching the bed and have to have my legs propped up in the air to relieve the pressure on my tendons. Its actually quite unpleasant and various methods of pain relief haven't worked at all. I had a conversation with a surgeon a while back who offered me surgery. At the time I thought I knew best, 'Oh no not for me', Ive always been adamant but I'm getting to the point whereby the options might seem radical to you ,but should allow me some respite. So as it stands at this moment in time I could have my ankles fused, or my Achilles tendons chopped. Neither sound too appealing but I suppose from my point of view as Ive long given up hopes of walking Hadrians Wall its not such a bad thing. Still we shall see, but at the moment I'm going to have to put up with the pain for at least another 5 months. This I could do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment