Wednesday, May 10

Sack of Potatoes!!!

Yes I look like a sack of potatoes. That's the only thing with going shopping, you get to look at yourself in mirrors and shop windows. I'm suddenly amazed at how bad my posture has become. Given that I've lost loads of weight, a couple of stone, and my clothes have gone down several sizes, you'd think Id be looking slim and trim. Not a bit of it. I guess it has to do with being female, wheelchair designs and the fact I cant sit up straight anyway. Does my bum look big in this? Yep, I think just the fact of sitting makes your bum look big no matter how thin you are. Wheelchair's are just not that female friendly, certainly they don't compliment the female body as most chairs seem to dwarf most women. Then of course given that I cant sit up straight very long is the major factor. There are 2 reasons for this. When you have any kind of spinal problem, a lot of the muscles in your lower back stop working. Its not until you actually have to think about sitting yourself up straight that you realise how many muscles do this for you without you knowing it. I also have a pretty decent lordosis developing. This is medic speak for spinal curvature. Its pretty inevitable really. Like I said I'm going to be the Hunchback of Haltwhistle within the next 10 years at this rate! Lordosis is made worse by the type of seat you have in your chair. Unfortunately anyone with any spinal injury needs a bucket seat. This means there is an angle in the seat and your knees are higher than your hips. Certainly from my point of view it is generally more comfortable and more importantly it adds stability to your bum and waist, helps you to stay in your seat and not fall out!

No comments:

Post a Comment